It’s my birthday and I’ll wear Africana

I’ve shied away from wearing Africana since living in Freetown. It’s always fabulous on a Sierra Leonian but against my flecky Australian complexion, I’m just not convinced. But today, as I joyfully celebrate another bloody birthday I'd like to shine the light on myself and share an Africana/white girl tailoring success story.



My talented tailor Mr Unisa Jalloh whipped up this cotton two-piece matchy which includes a boxy top and mini skirt made from a Ghanaian cotton found at the local market. Unisa and I awkwardly attempt to pose but somehow give an impression that I’m recovering from knee reconstruction surgery and require assistance walking.


No awkwardness here as the master sews his magic in his Congo Town studio. If anyone is inspired by the stunning creation Unisa made for me and wants their own Africana matchy, Unisa can be reached on 033860352. As the brother of the late, much adored and respected tailor Alpha Jalloh, overlockers and tape measures are in Unisa’s blood. For those not based in Freetown, Unisa is happy to take international orders. Just contact me.